On 23rd May, I’m really excited to be speaking at the 2013 London Hopper Colloquium:
I’ll be talking about ‘Being Passionate and Working on Things that Matter’.
In addition, I was recently featured as part of an EU project called 100 Mirrors, highlighting some of the top 100 ‘enterprising’ women in Europe:
For one of my hacks for the EDINA ran Will’s World Hack day/week, I’ve decided to compile an infographic/visualisation using the search results from a number of search engines.
The data was compiled in a few ways:
- The demographic data came from Yahoo Clues using the search term ‘shakespeare’
- The film adaptations number came from Listal.com using the phrase ‘shakespeare adaptations’
- The popular plays data was acquired through a php script co-written by myself and a colleague (Chris Reilly). It cycled through all the play’s names and grabbed the number of overall results from Google
- The phrase completion data was a combination of playing with Google Autocomplete and Google search results
The hack itself took just under 5 hours. At least 1 of those hours was trying to work out what infographic package to use (I’ve never used any before) and understanding what makes an interesting infographic.
- working on something which I care about
- working with people that I trust
- having great friends and family that are incredibly supportive
- achieving my childhood ambition
- get to play games and call it ‘research’
Interface3 has just crossed another milestone. Through these last few years, we’ve worked hard and kept going. I aim to have the same commitment and standards for the next few years.
From 90 things I’ve learned from Founding 4 Technology Companies:
Find your company’s One Thing.
Your One Thing falls at the intersection of 3 truths:
The one thing you and your team are most passionate about.
The one thing you and your team have a realistic shot at being the best in the world at.
A huge untapped market opportunity.
Well, it’s been a while but it’s been worth the wait. Sharon Moore and I are organising a BCS Women dinner/event on 27th June, starting at 6pm at the IBM offices in Edinburgh.
Save the date!
The last 6 months has seen two of my best friends get engaged – Phil and Hilary and Ianthe and Mark.
Ianthe and Mark’s wedding won’t be until Summer 2013 (it seems so long away!) and it since it’s going to my first wedding as a bridesmaid! Congratulations to them both!
A few weeks ago, I was in the U.S. for a mammoth 2.5 week trip encompassing 4 different conferences:
- Cross Creative San Francisco Trip
- Digital Media and Learning (DML)
- Games Developers Conference (GDC)
- South by South West (SxSW)
It was probably one of most memorable trips of my entire life.
There are some great photos by Carole Dunlop from TRC on the XCreative trip.
I also came back with a ton of ideas for Interface3. All this got pulled into a strategic plan that we’re adding to, modifying and executing. Watch out for news!